Wilda Phillips Leadership Bursary Fund
The Wilda Phillips Leadership Bursary Fund was established in 2006 by the YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region in recognition of Wilda’s leadership and immeasurable contributions to the Y. Sadly, Wilda passed away on September 4, 2020. This fund will continue to honour her incredible ability to achieve significant personal and professional success, without compromising her focus on people or her cherished values.
One of Wilda's greatest achievements was her ability to identify, nurture, and cultivate leadership in others. It is in this spirit that the Wilda Phillips Leadership Bursary Fund was established upon her retirement. The fund will award a $1,000 bursary to assist a high school graduate/post-secondary student associated with the Y in furthering their education. It is our hope that that this will identify and encourage future leaders who reflect the values of the Y in their current activities.
Y Mission, Vision and Values
Mission: The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region is a charity, open to all, and dedicated to enriching our community and its individuals.
Vision: The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region is a leader and valued partner in creating a vibrant and healthy community where everyone belongs and can reach their full potential
Our five core values: Caring, honesty, respect, responsibility, and inclusiveness – influence our actions and decisions and form the foundation of all Y programs.
Eligible applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in full-time studies at a recognized institution in a post-secondary program for the upcoming academic year.
- Be a family member of a current National Capital Region YMCA-YWCA staff person or volunteer, or are themselves a part-time Y staff person, volunteer or participant.
- Demonstrate commitment to Y values.
- Actively engage in community development through the Y and/or other community agencies or initiatives.
- Submit a completed application form.
- Provide a copy of the requested school transcripts.
- Submit 2 letters of reference.
Applications are now being accepted for the Wilda Phillips Leadership Bursary for the 2021/2022 School year. Deadline to apply is July 31, 2021.
Applications will be evaluated by a Y Selection Committee comprised of Y leadership volunteers and the Y's President and CEO. The bursary recipient(s) will be informed of their selection in August/September, with a public announcement to follow.