Language Assessment and Referral Centre
Assess and Improve your English and French Language Skills
The Y's Language Assessment and Referral Centre (LARC) provides immigrants with English or French language assessments for government funded programs. Our services are offered at no cost to eligible clients.
Our Services Include:
- Nationally recognized Language Assessments based on Canadian Language Benchmarks.
- Information on local language classes and support services (i.e. child care and transportation).
- Referrals to government-funded language programs.
- Referrals to other services and programs in the community.
Participants Must Be:
- 18+ years of age
- Ontario Residents, with one of the following immigration statuses:
- Canadian Citizens born outside of Canada whose native language is not English
- Permanent Residents
- Convention Refugees/Protected Persons
- Persons in Canada whose applications for Permanent Resident status are being processed in Canada and who have been
- informed by a letter from Citizenship and Immigration Canada of the initial approval of their application subject to an admissibility assessment
- Refugee claimants
- Temporary workers or students who have obtained initial approval for a concurrent Application for Permanent Residence
- Foreign domestic workers admitted under the Live-In Caregiver program
Programs Included in the Government-Funded Coordinated Language Assessment and Referral System:
- ESL/FSL - English/French as a Second Language
- LINC - Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada
- BTW - Bridge to Work Programs/Placements
- ELT - Enhanced Language Training (higher-level language training)
- OSLT - Occupation-Specific Language Training
Get Started Today!
For more information about the services and supports available at the Language Assessment and Referral Centre, please visit our online Language Assessment and Referral portal.