Camp Area Supervisors, Neighbourhood Day Camps (Various Locations)
Location: Various Location
Type: Seasonal contract preferred start date June 13, 2022, $ 15.50 per hour
Preferred start date: Monday, Jun 13, 2022
Closing date: Friday, Jun 24, 2022
As one of the largest charitable community service organizations in Canada, the YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region responds to critical social needs in the community and works to provide lasting solutions. Serving thousands of people across our region annually, we are a leader and valued partner in creating a vibrant and healthy community where everyone belongs and can reach their full potential. This position requires a commitment to the Y mission and core values of responsibility, honesty, caring, respect, and inclusion, which form the foundation of all Y programs and services.
Working for the Y
Are you looking to use your skills and unique gifts to make a real difference in your community? The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region is a great workplace committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, where different backgrounds, experiences, and identities are appreciated and celebrated. The YMCA-YWCA provides hundreds of employees with meaningful jobs and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the health of our communities. We recognize the contributions of our staff through innovative practices, great benefits, and growth opportunities. Whether you are starting out in your career or a seasoned professional, you will find many exciting opportunities to achieve your personal and career goals. Some of the benefits of working for the Y include:
What we offer
At the Y, you will be part of a vibrant and diverse network of people whose shared vision is to change lives and make our communities home to the healthiest children, teens, adults and families. Our competitive wage and benefit package includes:
- Free Y membership.
- Access to an Employee Assistance Program
What you offer?
You would be supervising a staff team of 4-8. Depending on your title, your responsibilities may vary.
This position requires a commitment to the Y mission and core values of responsibility, honesty, caring, and respect, which form the foundation of all Y programs and services
Some of the tasks of this position include:
- Give first priority to the camper’s needs
- Provide high-quality facilitation of all program areas at Camp Otonabee
- Assist in the creation, development, and maintenance of programs at Camp Otonabee
- Supervise Section Heads, Program Staff or Camp Counsellors
- Support in the training of staff
- Provide customer service to all of our parents and campers
- Perform some housekeeping responsibilities – sanitation of equipment, program areas, etc.
- Assist in set up and takedown of equipment
- Report Directly to the Camping Coordinator
What qualifications and abilities are we looking for?
At YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region, we strive to ensure our employees are a fit based on their strengths, interests, and future goals.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Ability to work in English
- Bilingualism an asset
Experience, Skills, and Abilities
- National Lifeguard Certification, Bronze Cross, Paddle Canada, or other relevant certifications are strongly considered as assets for this position
- CUI Level 1 or Level 2 or previous high ropes experience/hours is considered an asset
- Current Standard First Aid & CPR “C” certification
- Well-developed interpersonal, conflict resolution skills and relationship building skills; ability to establish rapport and excellent communication with children, members, staff, and volunteers
- Commitment to working in a socially inclusive environment responding with sensitivity and personal awareness to the diverse needs of members including visible and non-visible dimensions of diversity
- Experience in a day or residential camp in positions with progressive leadership and responsibility
- Minimum of 18 years old
- A minimum of 4 years experience working in and around camping and outdoor education and a minimum of 2 years of supervisory experience in and around camping and outdoor education
- Applicants must already have a valid permit to work in Canada.
- Criminal Reference Check for the Vulnerable Sector, not more than 6 months old is required
- As a condition of employment, in accordance with the COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement Policy for Staff and Volunteers, you are required to provide proof that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or have a valid exemption.
- Annually all staff must complete the mandatory training for the Protecting Children, Youth, and Vulnerable Persons, and submit the certificate of completion.
- Communication: Communicates in a thorough, clear, and timely manner and supports information sharing and goal achievement across the Association.
- Integrity: Demonstrates responsible behavior at all times and maintains high ethical standards.
- Teamwork: Participates actively in a team for organizational effectiveness. Create an atmosphere of trust amongst all team members.
- Concern for Health and Safety: Acknowledges and understands how to manage and educate others of risk and harm reduction.
About diversity and inclusiveness at the Y:
Inclusiveness is a part of our core values and we are committed to ensuring the diversity of the people and communities we serve as well as our staff. We welcome candidates from racialized groups, invisible minorities, Indigenous People, women, persons with disabilities, persons who identify as 2SLGBTQ+.
How to apply?
All internal applicants must inform their supervisor of their intention to apply for the position. Internal applicants can apply only after completing the probationary period of their current job unless approved by People and Culture.
Applications must be submitted to the YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region, and all cover letters should be addressed to Vanessa Spratt. Please send applications to General Manager, Camping and Outdoor Education, Vanessa Spratt (email@example.com)
Thank you for your interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region is committed to being an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please advise in advance if you require any accommodation during this process. We believe all people have the right to live free from discrimination or harassment of any kind.